Careers Beyond Academia
As you explore your career options, it is important to take some time to reflect on what is important to you in a job and to define your job target. Once you decide to pursue a position in industry, follow the tips below. Also, watch for events 皇冠官网体育平台coming up that are relevant to your search.
皇冠官网体育平台These two sites allow you to explore your career options in light of your skills, values, and interests.
is an online platform that allows PhD-level scientists and humanists, regardless of professional stage, to explore future career options.
And don’t forget, Career Coach, Linda Whited is available by appointment to help you in the job search process.
Search for opportunities
In partnership with the OPCD there are a variety of online resources for you to utilize.
- Network. Build your professional network through . Not sure what to ask? Here is a list of to help you prepare.
- Find Alumni. Search on for alumni from your undergraduate and WFU program who may be working at one of your target companies or in your chosen career field.
- Search openings. Try these
- Target your geographic preference. Try these from OPCD or access to research additional cities worldwide. Research in your target geographic location.
皇冠官网体育平台*Access GoinGlobal from a Wake Forest issued laptop or on campus. If you have trouble viewing this site – please contact Linda Whited.
Prepare your materials for applications. This will include a resume (examples coming soon) and . Sometimes you may also have to submit a writing sample, teaching philosophy or research philosophy as well.
Prepare for interviews. is an online free for all WFU students to help you prepare for your interview.
Evaluate your offers. 皇冠官网体育平台Consider your budget and where your money goes. Create a free account on using your WFU email address. On Cash Course, and where your paycheck goes.
Negotiate your offer.皇冠官网体育平台 Review the See these tips for from OPCD.
Have your PhD?
Check out these helpful resources for translating your skills to industry
- is an industry training platform for PhDs who want to be confident and successful industry professionals.
- is a resource to expand your options.
- is a collection of resources designed to give science graduate students ideas for nonacademic careers.
- is the oldest, largest online community dedicated to non-academic and non-faculty careers for PhDs in humanities, social science and STEM.
- is a blog with tips for navigating jobs outside of academia.
International Students:皇冠官网体育平台 See these from OPCD